Amgen's Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Consistent with our values, Amgen is committed to bringing the diversity of the world community into the Amgen community. We believe in harnessing the collective power of individual experiences, perspectives, and knowledge of our workforce to fulfill our aspiration to be the best human therapeutics company. This means more than recruiting diverse talent; it also means maintaining an environment where this diverse workforce can contribute fully to our mission to serve patients. An environment of inclusion and belonging fosters innovation, strengthens our global workforce, and drives our ability to fulfill our mission. This Commitment sets forth key principles that guide our Diversity, Inclusion, & Belonging efforts.
At Amgen, we seek to source the best talent available and make all employment decisions without regard to an individual’s gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, age, religion, disability, or other protected characteristic. In making decisions about who to hire, promote, or retain, what matters is an individual’s qualifications and performance and how these attributes align to business needs. Our goal is to ensure that qualified job applicants and employees are given equal opportunity to compete. We are Science Based when making such decisions – relying solely on the facts, not assumptions, biases, or irrelevant information.
Amgen seeks to improve diversity at the company by sourcing talent from a more diverse pool than it has in the past, considering the full breadth of what an individual’s background and experience bring to a position, and eliminating potential bias from the decision-making process. Equally important, Amgen strives to provide all staff members with the mentorship, sponsorship, and opportunities they need to succeed to their fullest potential. There are no “extra points” for an individual’s diversity, nor does “the tie” go to the diverse candidate. And, of course, no “points” are deducted for people who are not diverse. The focus is on expanding the diversity of the talent considered for positions, considering all candidates solely on the merits, and helping to ensure that all Amgen staff members have equal opportunities to succeed.
Inclusion and Belonging:
It is every staff member’s responsibility to create a welcoming, inclusive, and productive environment where all staff members feel valued and able to contribute to their full potential. The foundation for inclusion and belonging is Amgen’s Values and Leadership Attributes.
- We are Ethical, which includes
- Maintaining integrity,
- Ensuring that our words and actions are consistent, and
- Being honest and direct in our dealings with each other.
- We Trust and Respect Each Other, which includes
- Showing interest and respect in dealing with people of different backgrounds and experience,
- Working effectively with others who have different backgrounds, perspectives, and styles, and
- Fostering a culture that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Leaders at Amgen Develop the Best Teams, which means teams that are diverse across many dimensions:
- Hiring the best talent,
- Making accurate assessments of staff’s capabilities and performance, and
- Developing and mentoring key talent.
Amgen’s Commitment to Diversity:
Amgen is committed to the following actions to promote diversity, inclusion & belonging in the workplace:
- Recruit and retain a diverse workforce representative of the global communities we serve.
- Create an inclusive environment where all staff members belong by providing education to our staff and enforcement of Amgen policies.
- Ensure that all employees have equal opportunities to succeed, regardless of their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or other protected status.
- Continue to examine pay, promotions, and performance management and improve our processes across those dimensions.
Diversity is everything that makes each human being unique; it includes all aspects of a person’s physical, emotional, experiential, and intellectual dimensions.
Inclusion leads to a sense of belonging by involving and empowering others in a way that recognizes each individual’s inherent worth and dignity.
Belonging is valuing every individual’s inherent worth and dignity so they feel authentic, safe, and invited to thrive.