To support Amgen's drive to serve patients, the R&D organization aims to discover, develop and deliver life changing medicines to patients everywhere. To accomplish this mission, we need to take full advantage of opportunities arising from rapid scientific progress and new technologies. Biotechnology and the data sciences are advancing at blinding speed, opening up immense new possibilities. At the same time, competition within the industry is intensifying, and there are more and steeper barriers to medical access.
To keep pace with these rapidly changing opportunities and challenges, Amgen has adopted a dynamic R&D strategy. It is designed to:
- Focus on large effect sizes in serious illnesses with unmet need.
- Look to the biology first to understand disease and design new potential therapies.
- Bring together our leading internal innovation with world-class external innovation.
With the union of technology and biotechnology, we are at a hinge moment in drug discovery and development. Amgen's scientific success is rooted in unique capabilities that include:
- Human data: To advance precision medicine and better understand human diversity and disease using genomics, omics and other data.
- Multispecifics and other modalities: To drug the undruggable by engaging one or more targets at once.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and data science: To design better biologics more quickly and effectively.
- Clinical trial innovation: To speed up and improve trials using the latest technologies.
By building on Amgen's long-standing strengths in science and biotechnology, and with the addition of the latest in technology, we have a clear purpose: For every patient – a solution.
— David M. Reese, Executive Vice President, Research and Development