Beginning August 19, DNA Unlocked a new podcast, produced in partnership with The Scientist, takes listeners on a journey Amgen scientists and others have been on for the past 20 years to reveal the promise in the explosion of genome sequencing data to better understand human biology and transform drug research and development, and cure diseases.
“I had a great time talking with colleagues and other experts about how we’re using the mountain of genetics and omics data to solve some of the most challenging diseases,” said Ray Deshaies, Ph.D., senior vice president of Global Research at Amgen and DNA Unlocked host. “This podcast covers fascinating topics and is truly a fun and interesting listen.”
Over five episodes, DNA Unlocked covers topics ranging from the promise and potential of decoding DNA to the genetics of cancer and how understanding human biology is reshaping the future of precision medicine. Deshaies is joined by pioneers and leaders in genomics including Richard Scheller, Ph.D., former Chief Scientific Officer of 23 and Me and former executive vice president of Genentech; Saptarsi Haldar, M.D., vice president of Cardiometabolic Research at Amgen; Larry Gold, Ph.D, founder of Somalogic; Angela Coxon, Ph.D., vice president of Oncology Research at Amgen; and Amit Khera, M.D., Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Center for Genomic Medicine.
The first episode launches on Thursday, August 19 and continues with a new episode every Thursday through September 16. You can find DNA Unlocked on The Scientist podcast platform, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Google Podcasts, and many more.
Listen in every week or binge! Here are the dates and details so you can catch all the action:
- August 19: Episode 1 - Promise and the Potential with Richard Scheller, Ph.D., former chief scientific officer of 23andMe and former executive vice president of Research and Early Development at Genentech
- August 26: Episode 2 - Genetics vs. Biology with Saptarsi Haldar, M.D., vice president of Cardiometabolic Research at Amgen
- September 2: Episode 3 - Beyond Genomics with Larry Gold, Ph.D., founder of Somalogic
- September 9: Episode 4 - Unlocking the Genetics of Cancer with Angela Coxon, vice president of Oncology Research at Amgen
- September 16: Episode 5 - Reshaping the Future with Amit Khera, M.D., MGH Center for Genomic Medicine
There’s more! The Scientist will host free online, live Q&A webinars during three Wednesdays of the episode run featuring Amgen scientists. This is available to all from The Scientist website.
DNA Unlocked is the first of two serial podcasts in partnership with The Scientist. In the second podcast launching in October, Ray Deshaies will chat with Amgen colleagues and outside experts in a 5-episode serial called Undruggable. Listeners will join Deshaies on the journey of the development of the next revolution of drug discovery to treat diseases considered undruggable.